Friday, September 17, 2010

Features: Valissa Yoe

Valissa is styled by Omar Alexander, corset by Christian Civera, and photographed by Ahmed Klink

Its hard to start a description of Valissa because you kinda have to stop and think.  This is the woman that truly does it all and does it beyond expectation.  I don't want to take away from the Q&A, but if there is one thing you take from this post, its that she is a creative burst of energy that leaves you wanting more.  I had the privilege  of assisting her on the set of Adam Barta's video shoot for his song VIP, and not a beat was missed.  Valissa covered every base, and I was thoroughly impressed with how easy she made styling a video shoot, look.

When we were deciding who we wanted to feature on our site before it launched, I knew we had to reach out to her.  Thankfully, she was able to make some time for us! With all that being said, to close out our New York Fashion Week 2010 features, here is Valissa Yoe:


SWNYC: What inspired you to be a stylist and when did you realize it was something you are good at?
SNL/HBO's Jenny Slate. photographed by Kareem Black

VY:  I've always been obsessed with making everything and everyone aesthetically pleasing. Living and breathing New York City has inspired my fashion styling. While studying fashion design at FIT, I met some of the best photographers, musician and designers NYC has to offer. The thought of making a living building with all of these talents makes my "job" not feel like a job in the slightest. The exciting lifestyle and constant hustle that comes from working for yourself always intrigued me.


SWNYC:  How would you describe your style?

VY:  Clients come to me when they want to be seen! I give them WOW! I have people asking, "who the hell is that?!?!". I love building images and custom designing performance and red carpet outfits. I also pride myself in being extremely versatile in my style depending on the client and project.

SWNYC:  Who are some of the people you have been able to dress?

VY:  Jay Sean, Ryan Leslie, Amanda Blank, Mates of States, The Fire and Reason, WWE Divas, The Real Housewives, etc, etc

SWNYC:  Who would you love to work with and why?

VY:  Kelis. Her confidence is so sexy. I love the direction her music is going. She's always on the next level which is exactly where I like to be.

SWNYC:  Tell us something about you that most people don't know about?

VY:  I now offer my services as a makeup artist and hair stylist in addition to fashion styling. It's important to be multi-talented in this economy!

SWNYC:  In the next 5 years, Valissa will be...

VY:  I will probably be doing more image consulting and art directing than styling. I have also been DJing as a duo (DJ Vida and Valissa) and working on an electro music project with Alexander Technique. Anything to travel and enjoy life! The possibilities are endless...

Photography by Adrian Buckmaster

SWNYC:  Whats your favorite place in NYC?

VY:  Rouge 58. It's a new salon/art gallery/event space in Williamsburg. It's a modular space that embraces all the arts. You can see a dope art show with djs, BBQ, have your hair cut, book a full on photo shoot, then take a stripper pole class!

Photography by Ysa Perez

Photography by Aaron Cobbett

Valissa on the set of Adam Barta's VIP video shoot.
White dress by Valissa and Christian Civera.
Valissa with The Fire and Reason front woman, Bella Saona

Valissa is photographed by Mike Townsend 
For all things Valissa Yoe, Check out these links:





1 comment: