Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Features: Joe Buffa



Meet Joe Buffa: lover of Chipotle, and kick-ass Dancer/Choreographer.  If he looks familiar, you may have taken one of his dance classes or you may recognize him as one of the hot dancers in Cazwell's Ice Cream Truck video.  A YouTube search will also show you a small dose of his energy and talent in some well choreographed numbers.  Street Walkers NYC caught up with Mr Buffa and we were able to get a fantastic Q&A session with him.  Check out the mind of a dancer below:

SWNYYC:  How long have you been dancing for?
        
JB:  I was dancing as early as I can remember. Musical theater was my first love and where I found my love for the arts but I didn't start training  professionally as a dancer until I was 11. 
SWNYC:  What would you say is the most challenging thing about dancing?
JB:  Honestly the hustle of finding different gigs to stay a float financially. It's a rough business especially in this economy. One really has to be business minded and never stop looking for the next thing. Sometimes it gets tough and there can be a lot of down time so you have to have a strong focus and not let the time between jobs get to you. At the end of the day it's still a business and you have to be on your toes 24/7 constantly training and looking for your next audition. It's not just about being a great dancer. 
         
SWNYC:  How would you describe your style?

JB:  My style is fluid yet strong and really comes from a sexual place. Seriously, when I am dancing and I get into it, it is a serious aphrodisiac. I feel sexy and I become somebody else when I perform.
SWNYC:  Would you say that dance is your first love?
        
JB:  Absolutely. When I get up in the morning the one of the first things I do is put music on and either start dancing/choreographing in my head or find the nearest mirror and let loose. I tend to lose track of time if I get into the zone.

Raouff Photography
SWNYC:  Who have you worked for?
        
JB:  I have had the pleasure of working with some big names in the entertainment world such as Thalia (super sweet heart)        Shakira and even Jonte who I have known for many years and never ceases to inspire me. Some big name choreographers such as Kevin Maher, Shawnette Heard, Flii Styles. Also I have worked with some huge names in the fitness business as well such as Calvin Wiley and Patricia Moreno who are both internationally acclaimed dance/fitness presenters.
         
SWNYC:  Tell us something that most people don't know about you, but you would like to share.
        
JB:  I am a Britney Fanatic!

Raouff Photography
SWNYC:  What would be your dream gig be?
        
JB:  To dance for Britney Spears. I know she isn't the dance diva she was a few years ago but I'll never forget dancing in my      living room to that performance she did with N*SYNC. I had it on VHS and used to play it on the surround sound at full blast and get it IN! 
         
SWNYC:  What's a spot in NYC that you cannot live without?
        
JB:  Chipotle. ( Chicken Burrito with Rice and Guac. )


Karl Giant Photography
If you want to take one of his classes or just get more info on Joe, check out his official website: www.buffaboy.com


No comments:

Post a Comment