Monday, September 6, 2010

Features: Hiroki Otsuka

Hiroki Otsuka


Street Walkers NYC was able to catch up with manga artist, Hiroki Otsuka during the opening of his gallery showing.  The pieces are beautifully and creatively done on everything from envelopes, boxes, paint cans, canvases and of course some were in frames.  Coming from a simple guy's perspective, I f-ing loved it!  The drawings were fun, erotic and thought provoking.  Everybody that attended genuinely loved all of his work and Hiroki is very approachable and charming.  We were beyond thrilled to have him answer our questions!  Check below for a very the Q&A and pictures of his work during the opening reception.  


Also, make sure to click on "Read More," to see the rest of his work.



SWNYC:  What inspired you to draw?

HO:  I loved to draw as a child. I would draw on any piece paper I found. My older brothers were really into manga and anime as kids, and I think that's why I initially got into drawing manga. I would draw my own stories, make my own characters, and developed a strong desire to become a professional manga-ka. (manga artist) There are so many manga artists that I admire, but mostly I am inspired by people I meet or random strangers I observe. Each human life path is like literature to me.

SWNYC:  When was it that you realized you wanted to take your art serious?

HO:  I never planned to become a contemporary artist. I was visiting New York from San Francisco and met some of the most amazing people. In particular, there was this artist from Paris that really made me feel New York was the place to be. His art inspired me, not to be a serious artist, but to move to New York and immerse myself in the culture. Every where you turn you see the most remarkable, talented people. After moving here, I was sharing an art studio in Williamsburg in 2005 and working on Boys of Summer (collaborating with comic writer Chuck Austen) when I met the gallery owner of Stay Gold. She asked me if I would like to do a solo show, and it turned out to be a huge success. It wasn't until 5 years later that I truly accepted the fact that I am a contemporary manga artist now.

SWNYC:  Where do you want your career in art to be in 5 years?

HO:  I would love to show my work in the MOMA, Whitney Museum, or in Blum & Poe Gallery in LA.

SWNYC:  What do you want people to know about you and or your work, that they may not already know?

HO:  My right-hand side nipple is very sensitive. It's where all my inspiration comes from. ;)

SWNYC:  What's your favorite space in NYC?

HO:  Menkui Tei! (Japanese ramen restraurant) I feel like a Zen master when I am slurping their noodles!



You can still catch Hiroki's artwork on display at Dam,Stultrager Gallery, 38 Marcy Ave, in Brooklyn. It will be there until September 9th.
























No comments:

Post a Comment