Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Features: Seasick Mama



We present to you, Seasick Mama, a New York City based t-shirt company. They work directly with artists to produce amazing and innovative designs such as the one posted above desinged by local Artist, Alexander Binder. We are lucky to have been able to get the oppurtunity to catch up with Marial Maher, Designer/Producer, shortly after her and I became followers of each other via Twitter (gotta love it!). So with that being said, Street Walkers NYC wanted to get to the bottom of what makes Seasick Mama as innovative and popular as it is.

Here's a little Q&A we had with the fabulous Marial Maher...


SWNYC: Tell us a little bit about the concept behind Seasick Mama, and how you came across such concept?


MM: Seasick Mama focuses on apparel as an ideal canvas for promoting artists work in a contemporary, uncompromising and accessible way. I came across the concept when I was looking for a t-shirt with a Banksy image when he first started to surface. I figured I would just do it myself. (Sorry Banksy for the lost profit, I had too.) Anyways, after I printed the famous balloon image by Banksy - I started to obsess over wearing images by my favorite artists, but realize permission was greatly appreciated. I start collaborating with NYC artists - and a business was born.

SWNYC: Before Seasick Mama, what were you doing?

MM: I don't remember life before it.

SWNYC: What artist(s), thus far, that have won you over as favorite(s)?
MM: I hate this fucking question. It's like asking, "what's your favorite movie?"...hmmmm...I would have to say Anthony Lister. His recent reflection of superheroes & sex was excellent.

SWNYC: What should we expect from upcoming lines?

MM: In the next couple weeks I am going to start developing online galleries of talented artists. The medium is going to remain photography. Visitors to the site can browse through galleries and choose any image they want for a t-shirt. Open range of dozen thoughtful or pointless imagery. I am currently on the hunt for some great photographers.

SWNYC: On any given weekend, where can we usually find Marial Mahar hanging out? and which Seasick Mama Tee will we see her wearing?

MM: On the weekend, you can usually find me getting wild with my boyfriend. We spend our week working so hard - when Friday comes we are running around Soho like maniacs. It's that good ol' work hard, play harder feeling. My favorite Seasick Mama tee so far is the Three Eye Picasso tee designed by Eric Helvie. It's amazing.

SWNYC: Are you a native of NYC, if so where and why do you remain? If not where are you from and what brought you here?

MM: I like this question. Because this past weekend I was chucking firewood into a huge bonfire and my sister says, "You can take the girl out the country, but not the country out of the girl." I am originally from Rhode Island - and moved to New York City for the stimulation. I stay in New York City because it has matured me in a way no other environment could. Everyone thinks and acts differently - and there are a lot of go-getters. Please give me more.



Seasick Mama is always open to new artists and projects, you can shop for some of their amazing tees or submit your work if you're an artist on their website (We've got our eye on quite a few ourselves)...


Or you can always connect with them here:



No comments:

Post a Comment