Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Features: Ugo Mozie


As part of our ongoing New York Fashion Week 2010 coverage, we were able to catch up with one half of designing duo AstonMozie, Ugo Mozie, right before this crazy week began.  Having been seeing him everywhere around the city and introduced to him at a Starbucks in Union Sq last year (by equally ubiquitous designing twins Coco & Breezy), I decided to do a little research on Mr Mozie.

Not only does he have a good presence, his style is undeniable.  As you see in these pictures, the guy can pretty much do no wrong.  So when I read up on his upcoming line with his friend and business partner, Quinn Aston, I knew that I had to get him as a feature.  Nothing is more NYC then a young fashion mogul in the making.  Anyhoo, all compliments aside, here is our Q&A with Mr Mozie.

SWNYC:  How did you get started in fashion? 

UGO:  I first got started with Modeling. I booked my 1st job when I was about 14 for Sean John. I continued with that for about 2 years and realized modeling was not for me. I fell in love with the whole fashion lifestyle. I wanted to be the one making the garments, producing the shows, and calling the shots. This eventually developed into me designing and showing for New York Fashion Week.

SWNYC:  Most people fall in love with their art/work before they decide to take it serious.  When did you realize that you wanted to take it to the next level?

UGO: I knew it was time for me to take it to the next level during my first visit to New York alone when I was 16. I got to experience the city and embrace a lifestyle I had never seen before. The freedom, uniqueness, and individuality of the people here opened my eyes and definitely inspired me to make a move here. I graduated from High school early and moved to New York a year later.

SWNYC:  What inspires you?



UGO:  Im inspired by all forms of art, and my family. My 2 favorite artists are Keith Haring and Jean Michel Basquiat.

SWNYC:  How would you describe your clothes/style?

UGO: I ask myself this same question all the time. And I never came to an answer. My style is definitely the most eclectic I've ever come across. One day I can be a futuristic cowboy, and another day a Russian Mafia leader. I always tend to tell a story or convey a message through my wardrobe, whether its intentional or coincidental. 

Ugo styled Dawn Richard for Ghubar Magazine
SWNYC:  Who would you love to dress?

UGO:  Katy Perry and Soulja Boy.

SWNYC:  Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 

UGO:  At the Peak of my career. I plan to have my name branded in an array of industries. Im a Powerhouse.

SWNYC:  Tell us something that most people wouldn't know.

UGO:  I have only been in New York for one year.

SWNYC:  What do you love about NYC?

UGO:  The freedom to express yourself without judgment.

AstonMozie Designs



www.astonmozie.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment