Monday, September 13, 2010

Features: Christopher Healey


Welcome Christopher Healey, Design Assistant for the Donna Karan Collection. I first met Chris this summer through Mike Milan while vacationing on Fire Island. Instantly, I noticed this guy had great taste as he walked in the house with the best of the finest labels and a pair of shades to die for! To top it all off, he had to be one of the sweetest guys I've met thus far since I've been back in NYC. So without a doubt, Street Walkers NYC couldn't wait for the chance to engage him in a little Q&A for you all to indulge in...So with that being said, Happy Mercedez-Benz Fashion Week 2010 and here's Chris...

Chris and Donna Karan
SWNYC: For people who don't know exactly what you do, in a nutshell, can you tell us what your day job is?

CH: I work in fabric development and creative direction for Donna Karan Women's Collection. I handle all of the colors within the collection. I also ensure that all of the products, licensing, shoes and knitwear are all on the same page in color and that the collection is wholly cohesive. I handle and present Donna with colors each season as well as set the mood with inspiration presentations. I also work with fabrics and print developments which entails traveling to Italy to find the latest (and greatest) fabrics. 


SWNYC: What inspires you to...inspire?
CH: I love Luxury and Labels!! I love fashion and I love New York City! This city inspires me alot, the energy and the people. I love the hustle and bustle of the city and that everyone seems to have a story and someplace to be or go[in a hurry]. This city is truly a city of dreams...I work closely with our Design Director and we collaborate on a direction and I go with it and expand on that through vintage pieces, fabric swatches and art. All of which you can find in this great city.

SWNYC: What prepared you for such a big role?

CH: Well this is my first job in the industry. I grew up in a small town in California and knew I wanted to be in fashion but being from a small town it was inaccessible and seemed like a far fetched dream. I finally decided to move to New York City and go to design school. For my internship, I was extremely persistent in working for Donna, as I felt she was my aesthetic and could relate to her design Philosophy. I worked for the Senior Creative Director and did anything and everything I could get my hands on, working my way towards becoming her assistant. So for three years, I learned what she [Senior Creative Director] knew and took in everything I could and absorbed luxury. When the Senior Creative Director left to start her own luxury kids line, the recession had hit and they decided not to hire anyone to replace her. That's when I kind of took over her responsibilities. It was all about hard work, timing and dedication.

SWNYC: You also have a side project outside of your work for Donna, what is that?

CH: Well, I have always loved animals and I have 2 min-pins at home. They are my kids and, going to the stores, I didn't really see any clothes or accessories that reflected my style so I decided to launch a luxury dog lifestyle brand called "BarkStar". Its still in the works, as my current job at Donna Karan takes up most of my time, but when I need to get away into my fantasy world I create dog clothes and accessories. Its a high end, hand made line with dog leads, collars and clothes. I'm still working on the logistics but it is slowly coming together.

SWNYC: Whats your 5 year goal?

CH: My 5 year goal is to become a Creative Director for a luxury brand. If its not for my own label then I hope to be with another big fashion house. I also want to start a non-profit organization that will spay and neuter cats and dogs in NYC for free. There are way too many animals being euthanized each year and this is a great way to keep the population low so more animals are placed in homes..

SWNYC: Tell us something that people wouldn't know about you...

CH: Wow, that's a tough one...I'm pretty much an open book and a label whore!! [he laughs]

SWNYC: And last but not least, we what to know what your favorite spot in NYC is?

CH: There is way too many to name but to name a handful, I love going to and of the beaches in the summer. I love Central Park anytime of the year. And of course, gotta love shopping on Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue! I love hanging out at Donna Karan's downtown studio as well as her apartment overlooking Central park. I also love the views of Manhattan from Lighthouse Park on Roosevelt Island and Gantry Plaza State Park in Long Island City's Hunter's Point. Oh, and lastly, my favorite restaurant is NoBu in the Meat Packing District.



Below you can check out the video of Donna Karan's Fall/Winter 2010/2011 Fashion Show Parts: One and Two



2 comments: