Monday, August 16, 2010

Features: Larry Tee



StreetWalkersNYC got a chance to catch up with internationally reknowned DJ and Music Producer Larry Tee. Larry has been a New York City staple since 1989, which then he quickly took over the club scene alongside fabu-legends such as Rupaul and many others. Larry has played at many highly regarded venues from his early days in NYC and now around the globe. He co-wrote Rupaul's top 40 hit "Supermodel (you better work)," and was featured in the movie Party Monster. Come the turn of the century he created and trademarked the 'ElectroClash' genre/movement which became highly well known so much so that it can be looked up in the Oxford Dictionary. He helped launch the careers of not only RuPaul, but the Scissor Sisters, Avenue D, W.I.T, Peaches, and Fischerspooner. Needless to say this man is a musical pioneer and has come across more than many accomplishments and continues to rock the world with his musical genius.

I can go on and on for days and decades about him but instead I'll let you indulge in some Q&A we had with the Legendary Larry Tee...



SWNYC: What was your life like before you started doing music Larry?

LARRY: I listened to the radio obsessively and made my own chart out of all the local and national charts...it was radio WLDT which was the initials of my name. Sports did not do a thing for me...instead I was a music chart fanatic!

SWNYC: What would you say your big break was?

LARRY: Um, starting with a band that had produced the B52s rock lobster/52 girls independent single. That gave me a ground work on modern electronic music and art rock that still comes in handy for me today. It was also the group that introduced me to michael stipe who was a fan and he taught me a lot of amazing things about cultivating ideas...

SWNYC: What are your inspirations these days, and how often do they change?

LARRY: Dance performance is my inspiration right now, like competetive dancers and their fun breakbeat collages. Im also infuenced by the club CREW I play in Brazil....they mix everything together at a great speed! My inspirations change by the minute and I am not loyal at all to an style or inspiration. When it is done, it is done for me! Bye bye old house, disco and electroclash.


SWNYC: You've been in the scene for quite some time now, what would you say your biggest fears are at this point?

LARRY: My biggest fears are....not having any fears...just kidding. My biggest fear is abandonment like everyone else really. I'm not so worried that I will run out of inspiration or hits. I am just beginning to rock in those territories...

SWNYC: Okay, needless to say, you travel a lot. When you return home to NYC what usually is the first thing or few things you have to do as soon as you arrive?

LARRY: Take my dog out...hehehe. I've lived in London now for the last 7 months and love it. I had been in NYC so long that it had run out of surprises for me. My dog still lives there and I still have my loft there, but I started dating europe more and more and eventually moved in with her.

SWNYC: Last but not least, What keeps you connected to The Big Apple?

LARRY: My doggie keeps me connected rignt now and the lovely friends I have of course, and I have to say I love the NA and AA meetings there because I have 13 years clean in November. Thats why I dont have so many fears...

With that being said, Larry is a man of great splendor and StreetWalkersNYC will most definitely keep you updated on all to come from this mastermind. If you want to indulge in some of his works, collaborations and upcoming events you can check him out at...



LaRoux's Bulletproof(Larry Tee and Alexander Technique Remix)


No comments:

Post a Comment